Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 7, 2012

Memorial of Saint Ambrose, bishop and doctor of the Church

Read more about St. Ambrose.

Lectionary: 179

Reading 1 from the Holy Book of Isaiah
Is 29:17-24

Thus says the Lord GOD:
But a very little while,
and Lebanon shall be changed into an orchard,
and the orchard be regarded as a forest!
God reveals to Isaiah that Lebanon will receive great blessings.

On that day the deaf shall hearthe words of a book;And out of gloom and darkness,the eyes of the blind shall see.
On that day, God says, the deaf and the blind shall be healed.

The lowly will ever find joy in the LORD,
and the poor rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
This reminds me of the beatitudes which Jesus proclaimed:

Matthew 5:2-4
King James Version (KJV)
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

The word, "blessed" is from the Greek word for "happy".

For the tyrant will be no more
and the arrogant will have gone;
All who are alert to do evil will be cut off,
those whose mere word condemns a man,
Who ensnare his defender at the gate,
and leave the just man with an empty claim.
God will repay the wicked their dues:

Psalm 104:35
King James Version (KJV)
35 Let the sinners be consumed out of the earth, and let the wicked be no more. Bless thou the Lord, O my soul. Praise ye the Lord.

Therefore thus says the LORD,
the God of the house of Jacob,
who redeemed Abraham:
Now Jacob shall have nothing to be ashamed of,
nor shall his face grow pale.
And the God of Jacob and Abraham continues telling Isaiah that the nation of Jacob will be forgiven their sins.

When his children see
the work of my hands in his midst,
They shall keep my name holy;
they shall reverence the Holy One of Jacob,
and be in awe of the God of Israel.
They will see the hand of the Lord at work in their midst and they will turn to God and obey His will.

Those who err in spirit shall acquire understanding,
and those who find fault shall receive instruction.
God will instruct them and lead them on the road of righteousness.

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 27:1, 4, 13-14

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?

R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.

R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.

R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

It is obvious why the Psalms were the favorite prayers of the ancients.  They exemplify the perfect attitude we should all have before God.  A continual meditation about the greatness and goodness of Our Lord. 

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew
Mt 9:27-31

As Jesus passed by, two blind men followed him, crying out,
"Son of David, have pity on us!"
Two blind men followed Jesus and cried out for His mercy.
When he entered the house,
the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them,
"Do you believe that I can do this?"
And He asked them whether they believed that He could cure them.

"Yes, Lord," they said to him.
And they proclaimed their faith in Him.

Then he touched their eyes and said,
"Let it be done for you according to your faith."
And their eyes were opened.
Jesus warned them sternly,
"See that no one knows about this."
But they went out and spread word of him through all that land.
So Jesus cured them.  But He also instructed them to tell no one.  But instead, they told all throughout the land.

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.