Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Spiritual Direction


LGY:...why we need a spiritual director. (Yes, this is a "spin off" from another thread.) I have God, a Bible and if I don't understand something I ask you here on this forum. Am I doing something wrong because I don't need, as I see it, someone to talk with?

When some priest come here and hear my confession and give me Communion I never ask anything, actually, now when I think about it, I have never ask anything except for my questions here.
Lg.
PS: Can someone have to much faith? And if, what to do?
Scripture says:

Proverbs 3:5
King James Version (KJV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

And also:
Hebrews 13:17
King James Version (KJV)
17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Here's a good article on Spiritual Direction and why its important:

This excerpt is profound:
“St. Bernard says: ‘He who constitutes himself his own director, becomes the disciple of a fool.’ And he adds: ‘As far as I am concerned, I declare that it is easier and safer for me to command many others than myself alone.’ Our self-love leads us less astray, in truth, in conducting others than in dealing with ourselves, and if we knew well how to apply to ourselves what we tell others, we would make far greater progress.

“We understand quite well that we need a guide if we intend to climb a mountain. He is not less necessary for climbing to the summit of spiritual perfection, the more so as in this ascent we must avoid the snares laid by Satan, who wishes to prevent us from ascending.

I however, do not have a Spiritual director. Like you, I rely upon the Church, Scripture, Tradition, reading the Saints lives and general study of our faith.

Sincerely,

De Maria

2 comments:

Thanks for contributing.