Sunday, December 3, 2017

Rev 12, Mary Queen of Heaven and mother of all believers



Anti-Catholic says:

I just showed you that Catholic interpreters commonly understand The woman in Rev 12 as the Church of Christ.
The key word there is "commonly". Catholic interpreters commonly understand the Woman of Rev 12 as the Virgin Mary as well. In fact, they also understand the Woman as Israel. All three interpretations are acceptable to the Church.

And you,  stated otherwise.

Please point us to vast treasury of Church teachings from the past 2,000 years that agree with you
.

Why? You would reject them even if we did.  But here's one, anyway.

"He became man by the Virgin, in order that the disobedience which proceeded from the serpent might receive its destruction in the same manner in which it derived its origin. For Eve, who was a virgin and undefiled, having conceived the word of the serpent, brought forth disobedience and death. But the Virgin Mary received faith and joy, when the angel Gabriel announced the good tidings to her that the Spirit of the Lord would come upon her, and the power of the Highest would overshadow her: wherefore also the Holy Thing begotten of her is the Son of God; and she replied, 'Be it unto me according to thy word.' And by her has He been born, to whom we have proved so many Scriptures refer, and by whom God destroys both the serpent and those angels and men who are like him; but works deliverance from death to those who repent of their wickedness and believe upon Him."Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho, 100 (A.D. 155).

The bolded part is an obvious reference to the Woman of Rev 12 for anyone who knows Scripture.

This is a reference to Rev 11:19:
"O noble Virgin, truly you are greater than any other greatness. For who is your equal in greatness, O dwelling place of God the Word? To whom among all creatures shall I compare you, O Virgin? You are greater than them all O Covenant, clothed with purity instead of gold! You are the Ark in which is found the golden vessel containing the true manna, that is, the flesh in which divinity resides.Athanasius, Homily of the Papyrus of Turin, 71:216 (ante AD 373) .
And this is an obvious reference to Rev 12:17:
Again, there are those who say, "He is a man, and who shall know him?"(14) and, "I came unto the prophetess, and she bare a son, and His name is called Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God;"(15) and those [of them] who proclaimed Him as Immanuel, [born] of the Virgin, exhibited the union of the Word of God with His own workmanship, [declaring] that the Word should become flesh, and the Son of God the Son of man (the pure One opening purely that pure womb which regenerates men unto God, and which He Himself made pure); and having become this which we also are, He [nevertheless] is the Mighty God, and possesses a generation which cannot be declared. (Irenaeus, Against Heresies, book 4, chap. 33, paragraph 11.)

8 comments:

  1. Hi De Maria,

    I know that my comment is absolutely irrelevant to your blog article, but I was wondering how you managed to download the Reftagger Bible software on your blog without altering its format. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean? What is "reflagger bible software"?

      Delete
    2. De Maria,

      It's the software that highlights all your scriptural references so that when a person scrolls over the text, the verses appear on a little pop up message on the computer screen. This gadget is extremely convenient to have, and is in fact installed on your blog. But I have figured out how to successfully equip my blog with the ReftTegger software. Sorry about that.

      Delete
    3. >But I have figured out how to successfully equip my blog with the ReftTegger software. Sorry about that.

      Oh. I had forgotten about that. I don't get a whole lot of traffic anymore and I hadn't visited my own blog in a while. I need to get better about that.

      I'm glad you figured it out. Nothing to apologize about.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've responded to your entire argument here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went there, I responded to some of your post and comments. But I didn't see anything addressing my post. Is that the right link?

      Anyway, my comments will be posted when you approve them.

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.