Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Jesus said, “I am the sheep gate"



Fello said:
….Realize that if Jesus’ words, “this is my body” don’t mean (to borrow from Luther) that this is His body, we are all in big trouble. If His words, “my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink,” mean that His flesh and blood are not true food and drink, then the Bible is dang hard to understand, saying the exact opposite of what it seems to mean….
De Maria responds:

Jesus also says that He is the sheep gate. What are we to say?

Here’s what I say. There is no Tradition that Jesus is literally the sheep gate. When Jesus said, “I am the sheep gate.” You didn’t see the disciples grumbling, “this is a hard saying.” They understood that He was speaking metaphorically. And that is the Tradition that has been passed down through the centuries.

Whereas, when Jesus said, “I am the bread of life, my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.” The disciples all left. Only the Apostles remained. And even they were dumbfounded. But although they could not understand it, they accepted it because, as St. Peter said, “To whom would we run, we have come to BELIEVE that you are the Messiah of God.” And that is the Tradition that has been passed down. Believe it! It doesn’t say, “understand it.” The Tradition says “Believe it!”

Therefore, an understanding of the Traditions of Jesus Christ is absolutely necessary for a correct interpretation of Scripture.

Can I get an, “Amen!”

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    One thing I would like to point out is that at the Last Supper Jesus isn't holding up a gate, a bottle of water, a vine, a map or a flashlight. Jesus is holding up Bread. He states unambiguously: "Tske, eat, this is My Body,"

    The Bread of Life Discourse is revealed at the Last Supper and confirmed on the Road to Emmaus.

    Blessings,

    R. Zell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for contributing.