Saturday, May 19, 2012

Is the Canon of Scripture closed?



Lighthouse Catholic Media store

I love debating.  I learn so much.  Recently, while researching my "Response to Russell, DID THE CATHOLIC CHURCH GIVE US THE BIBLE?....", I was reading the Council of Trent on the Canon of Scripture.  It dawned on me that the Church only validated the canon in the Vulgate but did not condemn or invalidate any other canon of Scripture in Christendom.

For instance, the Orthodox Canon is different than that which we use. Some Ortthodox have 78 books in their canon.  Some 81.  But, taking the Council of Trent literally, those canons are not invalidated by Trent's decree.

The only thing condemned by the Council of Trent is that anyone should claim that the canon of the Vulgate is invalid.

Read it yourself and let me know what you think:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/councils/trent4.htm

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.