Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mother of My Lord



Lighthouse Catholic Media store

One of the things which always astounded me.  Astounds me to this day, really, is the fact that a Protestant and a Catholic can look at the same verse and come up with two radically different understandings of that verse.

The difference, in my opinion, stems back to how we read the Bible.  Protestants DISCOVER the meaning of a Bible verse every time they read it.  They, in good faith, endeavor to read the Bible without any presuppositions cluttering their mind.  At least, that's what many of them have told me.  They suggest that I do the same.  That I shed the Catholic presuppositions and approach the Bible as though I had never seen it before.

That, however, would be precisely against Catholic Teaching.  The Catholic Church instructs us to read the Bible according to the Traditions of the Church.
113 2. Read the Scripture within "the living Tradition of the whole Church". According to a saying of the Fathers, Sacred Scripture is written principally in the Church's heart rather than in documents and records, for the Church carries in her Tradition the living memorial of God's Word, and it is the Holy Spirit who gives her the spiritual interpretation of the Scripture (". . . according to the spiritual meaning which the Spirit grants to the Church"81).
I have thought about why, the Catholic Church and the Protestants approach Scripture reading with such disparate methods.  And I have come to the conclusion that the Catholic Church is the only Church which can legitimately approach Scripture with presuppositions.

You see, God did not drop a Bible down to earth and say, "You guys read that and figure it out."  No.  God inspired holy men to preach and then to write the Scriptures (2 Peter 1:19-21).  Remember the day of Pentecost?  We just celebrated it and are still within the Octave.

What I mean is this:
1.  Christ taught the Apostles and commanded them to preach (Matt 28:20).
2.  The Apostles obeyed and went into the world preaching and baptizing (Acts 2:38).
3.  The Church then began to write the New Testament Scriptures (2 Peter 1:19-21).

Therefore, the New Testament is based upon the Traditions of Jesus Christ.  The Traditions are the presuppositions with which the Church approaches the Scriptures.  And that is why Catholics and Protestants can look at the same verse and see totally different things.

I was reminded of this reading the words of St. Elizabeth to Our Lady:
And how does this happen to me,
that the mother of my Lord should come to me?


There we see an explicit declaration of the title, Mother of God, being used in Scripture.  But Protestants won't admit it.

The Gospel reading today is this:

Lk 1:39-56

Mary set out
and traveled to the hill country in haste
to a town of Judah,
where she entered the house of Zechariah
and greeted Elizabeth.
When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting,
the infant leaped in her womb,
and Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit,
cried out in a loud voice and said,
"Most blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
And how does this happen to me,
that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the infant in my womb leaped for joy.
Blessed are you who believed
that what was spoken to you by the Lord
would be fulfilled."

And Mary said:
"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever."

Mary remained with her about three months
and then returned to her home.


Sincerely,


De Maria

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful day is a gift from the Lord. Greetings!

    In contemplation of how we all interpret the Bible, I would like to suggest the following quote for possible explanation...

    The quote is from the Christian pastor, John MacArthur. Respect him or not as a great Christian teacher, I think this quote is profound - "It's not what the Bible means to me or what the Bible means to you. What is important is what the Bible means."

    I've taken that quote from memory, so bear with me if I don't have the wording exactly correct.

    What is important is what MacArthur is teaching with that thought. I greatly respect the Catholics version of the Bible and how Catholic teachers explain the Bible. To my discerning mind, Catholic teachers nail it. I have sat in too many non-denominational Christian Bible studies where the Bible interpretation was all over the place, laced with personal agendas and shaky assumptions, even though they mean well.

    Mercy and Blessings to us all,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent quote. "It's not what the Bible means to me or what the Bible means to you. What is important is what the Bible means." Pastor John MacArthur sounds like a very intelligent person.

      Thanks for contributing.

      Sincerely,

      De Maria

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.