Wednesday, February 20, 2013

February 21, 2013


 « February 20  |  February 22 »

Thursday of the First Week in Lent 
Lectionary: 227


From the book of Jonah, we move to the book of Esther.  It is a beautiful book about the mysterious way in which God works.  We're in Chapter 12 and much has happened.  You owe it to yourself to read this book from beginning to end.  You also owe it to yourself to see the Veggie Tales version.  I love it!



Reading 1EST C:12, 14-16, 23-25

Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish,
had recourse to the LORD.  She lay prostrate upon the ground, together with her handmaids,  from morning until evening, and said:
 
“God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, blessed are you.  Help me, who am alone and have no help but you,
for I am taking my life in my hand.  As a child I used to hear from the books of my forefathers that you, O LORD, always free those who are pleasing to you.  Now help me, who am alone and have no one but you, O LORD, my God.
“And now, come to help me, an orphan.Put in my mouth persuasive words in the presence of the lion and turn his heart to hatred for our enemy,so that he and those who are in league with him may perish.Save us from the hand of our enemies;turn our mourning into gladnessand our sorrows into wholeness.” 
Poor Esther.  She was just a child who, because of her beauty, had been  drafted to become Queen a vast empire.  But no one knew that she was a Jew.  And now, because of a scheme by his right hand man, the King has commanded that all Jews be killed.  

In addition, Queens in this Kingdom, have no power.  She needs to speak to the King but isn't permitted to speak to the King unless invited to do so by the King.  The penalty for disobedience is death.

So, Esther is in mortal anguish.  And she turns to God.



Responsorial PsalmPS 138:1-2AB, 2CDE-3, 7C-8

R. (3a) Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.

God, when I prayed to you, you helped me.  I thank you my God always and will ever praise you.

Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Because of your love and wisdom, you have proven to all your greatness.   When I prayed you came to my aid, you gave me strength to live on.

Your right hand saves me.
The LORD will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O LORD, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
You gave me strength Lord, now stay with me and make me do your will.  Your love is forever Lord.  Do not forget your creatures.

GospelMT 7:7-12

Jesus said to his disciples:
“Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
Turn to God and He will answer your prayers.  

Which one of you would hand his son a stone
when he asked for a loaf of bread,
or a snake when he asked for a fish?
If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your heavenly Father give good things
to those who ask him.
God will not give you things that are not good for you.  He will give to all the good things which they need.  But He will not give you things that are bad for you.  St. James put it like this:

James 4
King James Version (KJV)
1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?  2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 

“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.
This is the law and the prophets.”

This is the Golden rule.  Love your neighbor as yourself and you will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.