Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Catch more flies with honey? Really?

Usually, Protestants complain about my style of writing.   Even though I don't use ad hominems nor derogatory terms towards them, they get upset with me.

And then, in a form of transference, they claim that I'm the one who is upset.

Usually, Catholics approve of how I write.  But occasionally, some also complain.  I guess they feel sorry for the Protestants who wrangle with me about the meaning of Scripture.  Who knows?

Anyway, those who complain, Catholic or Protestant will sometimes give me pithy sayings like, "You might win the battle, but you'll lose the war."

Well, uh, that's not necessarily true.  Wars are won, one battle at a time.  If you keep winning the battles, you'll probably win the war.

But who's at war anyway?  Its not like I'm a Muslim who thinks he's always in jihad.  I'm simply having a conversation or a debate, if you will.   And I'm not the one getting upset.  Its the Protestants who get upset when I show them that their doctrines are not in Scripture.

Recently, one of those people said to me (and she's not the first), "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

What?  Really?  Who wants to catch flies in the first place?  Flies poop on you.  Flies are disgusting.  If you really want to catch flies, look for a pile of dung.  I've never seen a glop of honey swarming with flies.  But I have frequently seen dung and feces and rotting flesh that is swarming with flies.

And, it just occurred to me.  Are these guys, who say this, are they comparing Protestants to ugly, disgusting flies?  Ugh.

Folks, about twenty years ago, when I first started talking to Protestants, I wrote my first apologetic and I thought, "That's impregnable!  Protestants will look at that and be convinced and be converted in droves!"

That was probably the biggest disappointment I ever had.  No one was convinced.  At least, none of the ones who replied.  It didn't take me long to change my expectations.   If I once thought that I was born with a golden spoon in my mouth, that thought didn't linger for very long.

After twenty years of apologetics, I can, if I stretch, count the number of former Protestants who said my arguments helped convince them of the truth of the Catholic Church, on two hands.  But not all ten fingers.

But with Catholics, its the other way around.  Catholics have frequently thanked me and encouraged me on my efforts.

So, guess what?  I soon learned not to write to convince Protestants.  If I had done so, I would have soon quit in sad disappointment.  I mean, sure, if a Protestant is convinced by my words, that's icing on the cake.

My writings are meant to support and instruct Catholics who might be struggling with how to respond to Protestants who are trying to convert them away from their Catholic faith.

Anyway, if for some really strange and unlikely reason, I would ever want to catch flies.  I wouldn't use honey.

And if my words sound like vinegar, its because vinegar is good for you.  It might taste bitter.  But as the old saying goes, "Good medicine, tastes bad".

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.