Sunday, July 13, 2014

Douay Genesis 40


Book Of Genesis Chapter 40
Joseph interpreteth the dreams of two of Pharao's servants in prison: the event declareth the interpretations to be true, but Joseph is forgotten.

[1] After this, it came to pass, that two eunuchs, the butler and the baker of the king of Egypt, offended their lord. [2] And Pharao being angry with them (now the one was chief butler, the other chief baker) [3] He sent them to the prison of the commander of the soldiers, in which Joseph also was prisoner, [4] But the keeper of the prison delivered them to Joseph, and he served them. Some little time passed, and they were kept in custody. [5] And they both dreamed a dream the same night, according to the interpretation agreeing to themselves:

[6] And when Joseph was come in to them in the morning, and saw them sad, [7] He asked them, saying: Why is your countenance sadder today than usual? [8] They answered: We have dreamed a dream, and there is nobody to interpret it to us. And Joseph said to them: Doth not interpretation belong to God? Tell me what you have dreamed. [9] The chief butler first told his dream: I saw before me a vine, [10] On which were three branches, which by little and little sent out buds, and after the blossoms brought forth ripe grapes:

[11] And the cup of Pharao was in my hand: and I took the grapes, and pressed them into the cup which I held, and I gave the cup to Pharao. [12] Joseph answered: This is the interpretation of the dream: The three branches are yet three days: [13] After which Pharao will remember thy service, and will restore thee to thy former place: and thou shalt present him the cup according to thy office, as before thou wast wont to do. [14] Only remember me, when it shall be well with thee, and do me this kindness: to put Pharao in mind to take me out of this prison: [15] For I was stolen away out of the land of the Hebrews, and here without any fault was cast into the dungeon.

[16] The chief baker seeing that he had wisely interpreted the dream, said: I also dreamed a dream, That I had three baskets of meal upon my head: [17] And that in one basket which was uppermost, I carried all meats that are made by the art of baking, and that the birds ate out of it. [18] Joseph answered: This is the interpretation of the dream: The three baskets are yet three days: [19] After which Pharao will take thy head from thee, and hang thee on a cross, and the birds shall tear thy flesh. [20] The third day after this was the birthday of Pharao: and he made a great feast for his servants, and at the banquet remembered the chief butler, and the chief baker.

[21] And he restored the one to his place to present him the cup: [22] The other he hanged on a gibbet, that the truth of the interpreter might be shewn. [23] But the chief butler, when things prospered with him, forgot his interpreter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.