Saturday, September 27, 2014

Book Review: Something other than God, Jennifer Fulwiler


something other than god fulwiler What Im trying to say is: MY BOOK COMES OUT ON TUESDAY!!!!
Like Jennifer, I'm a convert to Catholicism from atheism.   I was also baptized at infancy.  In fact, I was baptized and confirmed when I was 6 months old.  And, ever since I discovered her blog about 6 months ago, I found that many of her themes struck a cord with me.  In that blog, she talks about homeschooling her children, about how to speak to homosexual friends, and other very interesting topics.  And she does it in a very open and touching manner which reveals all the poignancy of actual moments when this occurs in real life.  
While reading her current blog, to which I linked above, I also discovered her original blog, which is still on the internet and which chronicles, in real time, her journey to the Catholic Church from atheism.  What I mean by "real time" is that you get the sense that she's typing her posts in between errands and appointments.  Its a really fun read and it whets your appetite to read more of the foils and foibles of Jennifer Fulwiler.
After reading her blogs, I knew that I would enjoy reading her book.  So when I was traveling near Austin and saw the Credo Catholic bookstore, I stopped in to buy it.  And I was not disappointed.
Although the book also chronicles Jennifer (and Joe's) journey to Catholicism, there are some details in the book which are not mentioned in her blogs.  The way I felt while reading this book after reading the blogs, was like the blog was a mere outline.  And all the details of the outline were being fleshed out.  For example, their first time at Church and they saw a poster which I didn't remember being mentioned in the blog.  And their step by step examination of the Mass.  Which I thought was mind blowing.  Something, I think we should do for everybody at least once a year in order to remind them of the glorious history of our Church.  
So, anyway, I don't want to write a book about her book.  I just want you to know its an excellent book which you should read.
Sincerely,
De Maria


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.