Sunday, October 14, 2012

Be prepared!




Upon whom or what do you rely for your salvation?

Protestants frequently tell us that they rely upon their faith alone.  When they do so, I remind them that it is Jesus who saves.  

Confusing?

Tell me, how do you measure your faith in Jesus?  Who can read hearts?  Even their own?

Let's see if Scripture can help us:

Psalm 19:12

King James Version (KJV)
12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Every man justifies himself.  Everyone thinks he is doing the right thing.  

Proverbs 21:2

King James Version (KJV)
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts.
 Everyone is righteous in his own eyes.  But God is the Judge of all:

1 Corinthians 4:2-4

King James Version (KJV)
Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
That is the essence of the Catholic Teaching.

If you're Catholic, you probably recognize this situation.  You're walking down the street minding your own business when a fellow carrying a black book approaches you.  You realize that he is looking at you so, politely, you turn to greet the man, expecting perhaps, that he is going to ask for directions.

Sir, may I ask you a question?

Sure.

Are you saved?

What do you do?  Aside from the fact that you are not prepared to have a religious discussion, your mind is on something else totally.  And, like many of us, you're afraid to seem rude.  So you sit and listen to the spiel that you know is coming.  Never realizing that this individual has fixed upon your crucifix or some other tell tale sign which shows that more than likely, you are a Catholic.

Let's see what Scripture has to say on that matter:

1 Peter 3:15

King James Version (KJV)
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
My Catholic Brothers and Sisters!  See what the Word of God says?  Be ready always.  That used to happen to us a lot.  But this is the YEAR OF FAITH.  Don't let that happen to you again.  The Church is calling us to communicate our faith.  Join the conversation is the motto in our Archdiocese.  

So, how do you proceed?  Here's one way.

Sir, may I ask you a question?

Sure.

Are you saved?

Huh?

Are you saved?  Do you believe you are going to heaven?

Jesus saves.  I don't.  Jesus will tell me if I'm saved when He's good and ready.

He's already told you.  Haven't you read the Scripture?

No, I haven't.  I have memorized two Scriptures for people just like you.  You see, I was expecting you.  I wear my Catholic trappings to attract fallen away Catholics, like yourself.  You were a Catholic weren't you?

How'd you know?

Because you fell into error and you are trying to bring as many people with you as you can.

I'm just bringing to you the Word of God.

No, you're not.  You're bringing your word and it sounds like its in Scripture, but it isn't.  Because you've twisted the meaning of the Scripture.  The words are there but not the meaning.  Here's one that Scripture that I memorized just for you.  Open your Bible to Heb 13:17.  Read it out loud if you don't mind.

Ok.  Let's see, it says:

Hebrews 13:17

King James Version (KJV)
17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
What part of that do you obey?  Which human being do you submit to and obey whom you recognize to be ruler over you who will account give account of your soul to Jesus?

(Stunned silence)

That's not what it means!

 Yes it does.  And more.  It is a description of the Sacrament of Confession.  When we go to the confessional, bear our soul to Christ through the Priest and he gives account of our soul to Christ and then turns and gives us a penance which we must perform in order that we prove our repentance.

Well, I'm about out of time.  But I'll leave you with another Scripture to pray about.  You say you were saved by your faith alone in Christ alone?  Haven't you ever read the Scripture?  It doesn't say that at all. Turn your Bible to James 2:17:

James 2:17

King James Version (KJV)
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Faith alone is dead.

God bless you.  

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.