Monday, October 1, 2012

October 2, 2012

Memorial of the Guardian Angels

Our Guardian Angels see the face of God:

Matthew 18:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Read more. 

Lectionary: 456/650

A reading from the holy book of Job

Jb 3:1-3, 11-17, 20-23

Yesterday, Satan asked permission to test Job in order to prove to God that Job was not a righteous man.  After Satan had destroyed his family and cursed Job with sores over his whole body...

Job opened his mouth and cursed his day.
Job spoke out and said:

Perish the day on which I was born,
the night when they said, "The child is a boy!"

Job cursed the day he was born.

Why did I not perish at birth,
come forth from the womb and expire?
Or why was I not buried away like an untimely birth,
like babes that have never seen the light?
Wherefore did the knees receive me?
or why did I suck at the breasts?

and wondered aloud why he was brought into the world.

For then I should have lain down and been tranquil;
had I slept, I should then have been at rest
With kings and counselors of the earth
who built where now there are ruins
Or with princes who had gold
and filled their houses with silver.

And says that if he had died at birth, he would be equal to kings which have passed before him.

There the wicked cease from troubling,
there the weary are at rest.

And he would be at peace because even the wicked could not trouble him there.

Why is light given to the toilers,
and life to the bitter in spirit?

And he wonders why we are brought into being if our lot is to suffer.

They wait for death and it comes not;

they search for it rather than for hidden treasures,
Rejoice in it exultingly,
and are glad when they reach the grave:


We suffer and wait to die but death does not come.  Anyone who has ever seen a friend suffer for an extended period with no hope of cure and then to die, can possibly associate with this sentiment.  But again, we must have faith in God:

Hebrews 11
King James Version (KJV)
31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions.34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

Those whose path is hidden from them,
and whom God has hemmed in!

I don't know what this means.  But I think Job is talking about those whom God has condemned to the netherworld.  He numbers those who suffer on earth with the wicked.  That is why they are "hemmed in" or "trapped".

Responsorial Psalm Ps 88:2-3, 4-5, 6, 7-8


Response. (3) Let my prayer come before you, Lord.

O LORD, my God, by day I cry out;
at night I clamor in your presence.
Let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my call for help.

R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.

For my soul is surfeited with troubles
and my life draws near to the nether world.
I am numbered with those who go down into the pit;
I am a man without strength.

R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.

My couch is among the dead,
like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no longer
and who are cut off from your care.

R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.

You have plunged me into the bottom of the pit,
into the dark abyss.
Upon me your wrath lies heavy,
and with all your billows you overwhelm me.

R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.

This Psalm describes the Way of the Cross and the Dark Night of the Soul.  Even giants of our faith have gone through dry periods wherein they can't feel the presence and love of God in their life.  But their faith pulls them through.  Read more.

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew

Mt 18:1-5, 10

The disciples approached Jesus and said,
"Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?"
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said,
"Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children,
you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever humbles himself like this child
is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

Jesus taught the disciples the familiar message that one must be humble in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you that their angels in heaven
always look upon the face of my heavenly Father."

And then He explained that every child is protected by an Angel of heaven.  An angel which we call a guardian.  And these angels are always before the face of God in heaven.

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.