Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 16, 2013


Memorial of Saints Cornelius, Pope, and Cyprian, Bishop, Martyrs 

Read about

Lectionary: 443
Reading 1

1st book of Timothy 2:1-8

Beloved:
First of all, I ask that supplications, prayers,
petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone,
for kings and for all in authority,
that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life
in all devotion and dignity.
St. Paul asks us all to pray and intercede for one another, but especially for those in authority in order that we may live in peace.   
This is good and pleasing to God our savior,
who wills everyone to be saved
and to come to knowledge of the truth.
God wills that we intercede for one another in order that we may lead others to salvation by our prayers.  By our prayers, we can help to save our fellow man.
For there is one God.
There is also one mediator between God and men,
the man Christ Jesus,
who gave himself as ransom for all.
Although Abraham and Moses mediated for the Semites and for Israel in the past, Jesus mediates for all of mankind.  In fact, we are all mediators.  That is why St. Paul admonishes us to pray for all people, especially those in authority.
This was the testimony at the proper time.
For this I was appointed preacher and Apostle
(I am speaking the truth, I am not lying),
teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
This is the testimony of Jesus who came at the proper time for the salvation of mankind.  He is not lying that the Gentiles are included in this plan of salvation in which they were not directly included in the Old Testament.
It is my wish, then, that in every place the men should pray,
lifting up holy hands, without anger or argument.
And therefore, we should pray to God at all times.  And we should not stop anyone from praying.  For all who pray are directly or indirectly praying to God, Our Father.  
843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."
This is why St. Paul also says:
Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.  23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
Responsorial Psalm PS 28:2, 7, 8-9

R. (6) Blessed be the Lord, for he has heard my prayer.
Hear the sound of my pleading, when I cry to you,
lifting up my hands toward your holy shrine.
R. Blessed be the Lord, for he has heard my prayer.
The LORD is my strength and my shield.
In him my heart trusts, and I find help;
then my heart exults, and with my song I give him thanks.
R. Blessed be the Lord, for he has heard my prayer.
The LORD is the strength of his people,
the saving refuge of his anointed.
Save your people, and bless your inheritance;
feed them, and carry them forever!
R. Blessed be the Lord, for he has heard my prayer.
God is all that we have.  He is truly everything to us.  In Him we move, breathe and are.  So, let us recognize our infirmities and weaknesses and turn to the only One who can heal us in prayer and thanksgiving.

Gospel LK 7:1-10

This is a beautiful gospel of a man who was so faithful, even though he was not a Jew, he could recognize our Lord.  Read also about St. Cornelius, another faithful centurion.

When Jesus had finished all his words to the people,
he entered Capernaum.
A centurion there had a slave who was ill and about to die,
and he was valuable to him.
A Roman Centurion heard that Jesus was in Capernaum and requested that He heal his beloved slave.
When he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to him,
asking him to come and save the life of his slave.
He sent an envoy of Jews to make the request in his stead.
They approached Jesus and strongly urged him to come, saying,
“He deserves to have you do this for him,
for he loves our nation and he built the synagogue for us.”
They were happy to go because the man was just and fair towards the Jews.
And Jesus went with them,
but when he was only a short distance from the house,
the centurion sent friends to tell him,
“Lord, do not trouble yourself,
for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof.
But when the Centurion saw Him coming, he was alarmed because of his humility, he considered himself unworthy that Our Lord should come into his house.  That is why we say that verse in Mass before take Communion.
Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you;
but say the word and let my servant be healed.
But he, like Abraham (Hebrews 11:17-19), knew that God's power is without limit.
For I too am a person subject to authority,
with soldiers subject to me.
And I say to one, Go, and he goes;
and to another, Come here, and he comes;
and to my slave, Do this, and he does it.”
When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him
and, turning, said to the crowd following him,
“I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.”
And Jesus announced to all the Jews, "I have not seen this type of faith even in all of Israel."  Which should have shamed them, because they were the children of God.
When the messengers returned to the house,
they found the slave in good health.
And when the messengers arrived at the Centurion's home, they found that all had been done according to the Centurion's faith. The slave was healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.