Sunday, December 28, 2014

James 2:24 does argue against faith alone

De Maria said...
Anonymous December 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Hello De Maria,
You are indeed very good at reading things out of context.

I beg to differ.

James 2:24 does not argue against salvation by faith alone. 

Let's see what James 2:24 says:

James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Rather, it argues against a salvation that is alone, a salvation devoid of good works and obedience to God’s Word. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." James’s point is that we demonstrate our faith by what we do (James 2:18). 

That is the Catholic Doctrine.

Regardless of the absence of the precise phrase “faith alone,” 

There is no absence of that phrase. St. James is clear. Above, I used the KJV, here, I'll use the NIV.

James 2:24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

the New Testament definitely teaches that salvation is the product of God’s grace in response to our faith. "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." (Romans 4:5)

That is a reference to the Sacraments. In the Sacraments, we are justified according to our faith, apart from works. This is why Catholics are said to be the descendants of Abraham. It is in the Sacraments, that God, seeing our faith, counts it to us as righteousness and pours His saving grace into our hearts.

Unless you know the Traditions of the Catholic Church which are the underpinning of the New Testament, you won't understand St. Paul.

Why are you so desperate to attack the wonderful articles published by Russell?

Why do you characterize me as desperate and my comments as an attack. I happen to believe that Russell is a sincere Christian and I love talking to him. But I believe he is sincerely in error and I want to point him to the Scriptures which show his errors.

Sincerely,

De Maria

December 28, 2014 at 3:46 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.