Sunday, June 23, 2013

Catholic apps for iPhone and Android

Last Sunday in Mass, I pulled out my smartphone and was reading it, when a conscientious young lady whispered to me, "Sir, that is inappropriate."    I quietly turned and showed her that I was following the Mass on my Android phone (i.e. Galaxy s3) using a free app called the iBreviary.  She was very apologetic, but I told her that my own wife had the same response when I first started using my smartphone, at that time an iPhone, to follow the Mass.

After Mass, we spoke and I showed her some of the other apps I have on my phone.  She also owned a smartphone and actually had the Rosary and the Divine Mercy on it, already.  But she was unaware of the free liturgies and missals.

Why use these apps?

A.  They're free.
B.  Some of you might wonder why I prefer to use the app on my smartphone instead of the Missals which are provided at every Church?  There are several reasons for that.

1.  I can't read them.  Frequently, they have very small lettering.  And even when they have the large lettering,  most Churches are very poorly lit.  So, all I do is strain my eyes.

2.  In contrast, the iBreviary gives me the option of making the letters as large as I want.  And, both the iPhone and Galaxy, give me the option of making the screen as bright as I need.

There is another app which I actually prefer to the iBreviary, the Laudate, except for the lettering.  I haven't figured out how to make the letters bigger, so I can't read it comfortably.  But it is set out in an order that I can navigate much more easily.  I keep both apps on my phone because there have been times when my apps fail, as all apps will occasionally do, and that gives me an option.

C. Another and more compelling reason is that the Church has called us to do so.  Not these apps in particular.  But the Church has called us to unite ourselves to the Liturgy by praying the Liturgy of the Hours.  Pope Benedict said:
Dear friends, in these recent catecheses I wanted to present to you certain Psalms, precious prayers that we find in the Bible and that reflect the various situations of life and the various states of mind that we may have with regard to God. I would then like to renew to you all the invitation to pray with the Psalms, even becoming accustomed to using the Liturgy of the Hours of the Church, Lauds in the morning, Vespers in the evening, and Compline before retiring. 
Our relationship with God cannot but be enriched with greater joy and trust in the daily journey towards him. Many thanks.
The Liturgy of the Hours is the Church's perpetual prayer and it has always been the duty of the Prtiests to pray this prayer.  Now,  the Church is calling all faithful Catholics to join in praying this prayer as well.  Both of these apps contain the prayers which are traditionally prayed in the Liturgy of the Hours.


The links
Here's the link to the iBreviary for iPhone and Android.  And here's the link to the Laudate for iPhone and Android.

Sincerely,

De Maria









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.