Saturday, June 8, 2013

Scripture says that we can not lose our salvation

Luther said:
Scripture says that we know we when we are saved (Acts 10:43; 13:39; 1 John 5:13;
We've been over these. They Acts 10:43, if read in context with Acts 10, shows that St. Cornelius was considered a Just man, in other words, that he was justified, because of his works of righteousness. In addition, it highlights the necessity of Baptism to be born again in the Spirit and become a child of God.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15).
I don't recall having discussed this one with you. But it is the verse which we stand upon to support PURGATORY.
1 Corinthians 3:15

King James Version (KJV)

15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

So you interpret this (1 Cor 9:27)  to mean that Paul could have lost his salvation?
Yes.

This is very unlikely given the context in which the passage was written.
I agree it is unlikely to have ever happened. In fact, he is numbered among our Saints, so it didn't happen. But St. Paul admits that it was possible. As would any humble person who honestly compares himself to God.

Paul started off talking about his rights as an apostle, but from verse 15 he explained that he never claimed those rights and asked, what is my reward then? (vs 18). Salvation is not a reward, but a gift. Therefore he preached the gospel for free so that his reward would not be from man. From verse 24 he started talking about the prize associated with the work he was doing. Salvation is not considered a prize, but a gift. A prize is something you work for and earn. Interestingly in the NIV translates it "disqualified for the prize". This interpretation fits the meaning of the word disqualified in the athletic context. These are not the words of a man who is worried about losing his salvation
He said, "castaway".
23And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

It is very clear that he says he might be castaway after he has preached to others. We find even more information if we go through the whole chapter:
16For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

If you check Galatians, you will see that he made sure he was not running in vain, in other words, he made sure he was preaching the true Gospel by speaking to St. Peter:
Galatians 2:2
And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles,but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

- Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (2 Timothy 4:8).
This is a different letter, written under different circumstances. Certainly, something had changed between writing 1 Cor and 2 Tim.

The Roman Catholic church claims we are saved by our works.
That is a blatant lie which you keep repeating even though I have corrected you several times. Why? Why do you keep spreading that lie? You and all the Protestants.

We are saved by faith and works. Why do you keep ignoring the words FAITH AND?

1816 The disciple of Christ must not only keep the faith and live on it, but also profess it, confidently bear witness to it, and spread it: "All however must be prepared to confess Christ before men and to follow him along the way of the Cross, amidst the persecutions which the Church never lacks."82 Service of and witness to the faith are necessary for salvation: "So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven."83

That's why they teach we can't know for sure if we are saved. I know the truth. The Bible teaches otherwise (John 3:18; Ephesians 2:8,9; 1 John 5:13). I rely upon the Word of God, not on myself.
If you relied upon God, you would await His Judgement. But you rely upon self, therefore you reject His Judgement and insert your own in It's place claiming to know what God has not revealed.

I will rely upon the Jedgment Seat of Christ to determine rewards and loss of rewards (1 Corinthians 3:13-15) not to find out if I'm saved or not. God's Word already tells me that.
That is what you have read into the Scripture. But the Scripture says otherwise.

I don't justify myself.
That is correct.

God justifies us by faith.
God justified the faithful doers of the Law:
Romans 2:13

King James Version (KJV)

13(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Got to go. I'll continue tonight. God willing.

Sincerely,

De Maria



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.