Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Memorize the Bible - 1 Peter 2:21

1 Peter 2:21
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

I use this verse often in conjunction with 2 Cor 5:15 and Heb 9:15.  Usually I mention that Christ died to redeem the transgressions of the Old or First Testament so that those who were called could receive the promise of eternal inheritance. (Heb 9:15).  And also, so that those who live might live no longer to themselves but for Him who died for them (2 Cor 5:15).

I did all that from memory.  I'm so happy!

Then I inform them that Christ died not so that we might live forever without suffering.  But so that we would also know how to suffer and die for our fellow man.  He gave us an example to live by.  That is where 1 Peter 2:21 comes in.

So, let's see what we can do for that one.

One thing I learned about mnemonics.  I need to organize the chapter and verse numbers.  And I will do that in the future.  But in the meantime, I will continue simply taking memorizing each of these with a unique mnemonic.

Let's turn to the numerical alphabet.

So,
1 = t or d
2 = n

We have a bunch of 1's and 2's so that'll do.  But that's not helping any.

Another thing I learned in the mnemonics forum is that I don't have to follow that numeric alphabet.  I can see if the numbers remind me of anything.  And they do.  The number 2:2 reminds me of tu-tu.  You know, a ballet dress.  So, I will picture a ballet dress and a bottle of wine.  Wine for one.

Peter means "rock",  I know that because piedra is rock in Spanish and because I memorized Matt 16:18 long, long ago, without mnemonics.  Just repetition.

So let's picture 1 huge rock for 1 Peter.   So the mental picture is "tu-tu wine on a large flat rock" for the verse 1 Peter 2:21.

Now the text:

1.  For even hereunto were ye called: - Christ calls me.
2.  because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example,  - And I see myself on the Cross with Christ.
3.  that ye should follow his steps:- and I follow after Christ, carrying my cross as He carries His.

Now, from memory:

The ref is a tutu and a bottle of wine on a big flat rock.  That's 1 Pet 2:21

The word picture:

Christ is calling me, I am on the Cross with Christ, then I follow Him carrying my Cross as He carries His.

And the words are,
For this are we called, for Christ also suffered in order to give us an example that we might follow in His steps.

Let's compare:
1 Peter 2:21
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Thanks for listening,

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.