Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Memorize the bible - review 1 Cor 4:3-5


1 Corinthians 4:3-5
King James Version (KJV)
3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.  4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.  5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
Ugh!  This one is killing me.  Its the only one I haven't been able to memorize.  It is also the biggest one I've tried to memorize.  But I love this verse. Maybe I need to pare it down?  Maybe if I divide it into smaller bits, I can conquer it.

Why don't I memorize 1 Cor 4:3-4, first?  This is the heart of the verse and the part I use the most.  I also use a different version of it than the KJV.  I don't know why, but when I first read it, years ago, it seemed to stick.


1 Corinthians 4:3-4
New International Version (NIV)
3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
So, that's the one I'm going to memorize.  Word for word memory is not important to me.  There are so many versions of Scripture that I think the proper understanding is more important than a word for word memory of any single version.  And besides, I just want to recall it quickly rather than having to use the search engines.

Anyway, the gist that I want to remember here is that:
a.  I don't judge myself.
b. God is my Judge.  Therefore, I don't call myself saved by faith alone.  That is a form of presumption and a mortal sin in Catholic Teaching.
c.  We must all stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ and be judged (Romans 14:10).  We do not judge ourselves.

Therefore then, let's memorize this portion of the whole verse and see if it doesn't get easier:

1 Cor is one heart.

4 is equal to r and we have two fours while 3 is equal to m.

Actually, I don't want to re-invent the entire wheel.  I didn't have any trouble remembering "the ram is real."  I'll keep that.

And, now, I don't seem to have any trouble remembering the first part of the word picture.

I see myself being judged by others.  And I walk away from them to stand before the Judgment seat of Christ who is wearing rams horns and wielding a gavel.

So, from memory,

I care nothing about you judging me, nor any other man.  I don't even judge myself.  For, my conscience is clean.  Yet I am not thereby innocent.   For He who judges me is the Lord.

Now, let's compare:

1 Corinthians 4:3-4
New International Version (NIV)
3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
Pretty close.  I like that better than before.  Let's see what the KJV says:
1 Corinthians 4:3-4
King James Version (KJV)
3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.  4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord. 
Yeah.  For some reason, that doesn't stick with me.  I'll go with the NIV on this one.   But I've got the gist anyway.

Sincerely,

De Maria



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.