Thursday, March 12, 2015

My intent on this blog is to explain Scripture according to Catholic Teaching.





De Maria said...

Anonymous said...
Nick,
You are still stuck. Without an infallible-official interpreattion of the Scriprue from your church you are no better off than a Protestant. All you do is express your opinion what you think a given passage of Scripture means. That is the best you and other RC's can do.


Not really.

1. We have the same rules and guides which we follow, therefore, Nick and I and all Catholics should come up with the same interpretation.

But Protestants have no rule for how to read and understand the Bible. Therefore, they come up with things that are totally divergent.

2. Even if Nick and I come up with different interpretations, the Catholic Church does not micro-manage our exegesis. The most important rule is that our interpretations must not go against Catholic Teaching.

So, for example, in reading Matt 16:18, I could say, "Peter is the Rock". Nick might say, "Jesus is the Rock." And still another Catholic might say, "Peter's confession is the Rock." And guess what, the Catholic Church accepts all of them.

But Protestants are in turmoil about that little detail.

3. And finally, both Nick and I know that the Church is infallible and fold our cards if anyone can prove that our interpretation is against Catholic Teaching. Here is what I say about the teachings on my own blog, and I quote:

My intent on this blog is to explain Scripture according to Catholic Teaching. If my explanations are ever proven not to be in conformity with Catholic Teaching, I will immediately repent of my error and change my explanation to be in conformity with Catholic Teaching.

Name one Protestant that will do that. Will you? Of course not. Your rule is your understanding. You rely upon your own understanding and deny the God given right of the Catholic Church to teach you the Wisdom of God.

Eph 3:10
Ephesians 3:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

We have the Church and we have the Word of God in Tradition and Scripture on our side. All you have is your opinion.

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.