Monday, August 4, 2014

So, a spiritual body can be real and physical.


(continued from
Lutero:

Demaria,
How many times have I explained to you that each person who partakes of the elements of communion in my church is told "This is my body" and " This is my blood."

So what you are presenting is nothing new to scripture or to my church.

The point is we are speaking of is a spiritual body of Christ and not a physical body as per 1 Cor 15:42-51.

Your own CCC does not teach physical or literal.

I have no problem with those quotes regarding communion and the presence of Chirst. Adding more of those adverbs has not changed the original intent as I see it.
I know what you said. Perhaps that is what your church teaches. But that is not what the Catholic Church teaches.  


re·al1
ˈrē(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.
    "Julius Caesar was a real person"
    synonyms:actual, nonfictional, factual, real-life; More
  2. 2.
    (of a substance or thing) not imitation or artificial; genuine.
    "the earring was presumably real gold"
    synonyms:genuineauthenticbona fideMore



adverb
NORTH AMERICANinformal
  1. 1.
    really; very.
    "my head hurts real bad"


phys·i·cal
ˈfizikəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of or relating to the body as opposed to the mind.
    "a whole range of physical and mental challenges"
    synonyms:bodilycorporealcorporalsomaticMore

  2. 2.
    of or relating to things perceived through the senses as opposed to the mind; tangible or concrete.
    "pleasant physical environments"
noun
  1. 1.
    a medical examination to determine a person's bodily fitness.

sub·stan·tial
səbˈstanCHəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of considerable importance, size, or worth.
    "a substantial amount of cash"


  2. 2.
    concerning the essentials of something.
    "there was substantial agreement on changing policies"
    synonyms:fundamentalessentialbasic More

Being spiritual does not make it any less real.  Christ's body was spiritualized after the resurrection, yet Scripture says:


Luke 24:39

King James Version (KJV)
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
And Scripture also says:


1 Corinthians 15:44

King James Version (KJV)
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
So, a spiritual body can be real and physical.  It can also be invisible to your eyes of flesh.  But we see with the eyes of faith:


2 Corinthians 5:7

King James Version (KJV)
(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
Sincerely,

De Maria

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had thought to ask that person, if he worshipped the Eucharist. Because I don't anyone but Catholics who do so. And we do it because we believe in the Real Presence.

    So, if they believe that Jesus is really present in the Holy Eucharist, spiritual or physical or whatever, why don't they worship the Eucharist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first question that popped into my mind when I read Lutero's words.

      If he is Lutheran (assuming from his pen name), then he should know they don't have valid priests to consecrate the host properly, therefore, their belief is more of an "imagining" of the presence of God and that would make it idolatry, would it not?

      Delete
    2. That's the pen name I assigned him on this blog. But I believe he is Lutheran. Its been a long time since I had that conversation, though.

      They know that the Catholic Church does not consider their priests valid, but they don't acknowledge the authority of the Catholic Church.

      It is, however, true that their belief is more of an imagining. Since, they don't ascribe to their "ministers" any authority to "consecrate". They, in fact, don't believe in a ministerial priesthood. Of course, all those things also depend upon which Lutheran you speak to and which way the wind is blowing.

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.