Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Kicking kids out when they are 18, why?



Lighthouse Catholic Media store

Catholic Nick had some excellent articles today on his blog.  One was about bikinis, I'll let you read that yourself.

The other about kicking children out of the home when they are 18 years old.  I have definite opinions about that one.  I don't doubt anything that he said in his article.  But I always thought of this idea of kicking children out of the house at 18 years of age being an American phenomenon. I'm a first generation American and I know this idea was not prevalent in our family when I was young.  


When I was growing up, every household in my family was composed of parents, their children and where applicable, their grandchildren.  Children did not put their parents in Old Folk's homes.  They took care of them until they passed.  And parents didn't kick children out of their home.  They remained with their parents until the family outgrew the house.  Or until they could afford to buy a home of their own.

It was only after most of my family had moved to the US, that I began to see this phenomenon of children moving out of the house simply because they were 18 years old.  
I also remember the beautiful Indian actress, on a night time TV show, who revealed that, in her 30's, she was still living with her parents. She received a great deal of ridicule in America for revealing this fact. Yet, she, as I, believe the idea is stupid. Why, if you love your parents and your parents love you, would you leave them and not help them with the bills and let them help you with yours? Why go out and rent an apartment and give your money to a perfect stranger when you can be saving that money?

It makes no sense for economic reasons. It makes no sense for emotionaly reasons.  It makes no sense for social  and psychological reasons. It simply makes no sense at all. It seems to me that this has become an American phenomenon because Hollywood depicts every family as dysfunctional. So, therefore, why would you want to remain with people which, according to Hollywood, you are supposed to hate. Americans have bought into the lie.

Sincerely,

De Maria

2 comments:

  1. I think that adult children placing their parents into nursing homes is evidence of love in society growing cold. That factor is only one of multiple evidences of our nation's deteriorating moral foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. For example, when I was young, no child of any age would dream of cussing in front of their mom or dad. Today, I'm shocked to hear the way that children, young and old, speak to and with their parents. Even docile conversations are vulgar.

      Equally shocking, is the vulgarity that parents use speaking to their children.

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.