Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Daily Readings July 26, 2012

USCCB » Bible » Daily Readings

July 26, 2012

Memorial of Saint Joachim and Saint Anne, parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Lectionary: 398
Reading 1 Jer 2:1-3, 7-8, 12-13

This word of the LORD came to me:
The Lord spoke to Jeremiah

Go, cry out this message for Jerusalem to hear!

Announce to Jerusalem this message. 

I remember the devotion of your youth,
how you loved me as a bride,
Following me in the desert,
in a land unsown.

The Lord here describes Israel as a loving Bride.  This same metaphor is also used to describe Jesus relationship to the Church:

Ephesians 5:22-24

King James Version (KJV)
22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;


26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.


Sacred to the LORD was Israel,
the first fruits of his harvest;
Should any presume to partake of them,
evil would befall them, says the LORD.

The Jews were God's chosen people.  A people peculiar to Him whom He loved and protected, as long as they kept His Commandments:

Exodus 19:5

King James Version (KJV)
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:


We have taken that honor now:

1 Peter 2:9

King James Version (KJV)
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;


When I brought you into the garden land
to eat its goodly fruits,

The garden land- the land of milk and honey to which He led Israel through the desert.

You entered and defiled my land,
you made my heritage loathsome.
The priests asked not,
"Where is the LORD?"
Those who dealt with the law knew me not:
the shepherds rebelled against me.
The prophets prophesied by Baal,
and went after useless idols.

But Israel apostatized and turned to other gods, committing idolatry and defaming the Name of God who had led them out of the Egypt.

Be amazed at this, O heavens,
and shudder with sheer horror, says the LORD.
Two evils have my people done:
they have forsaken me, the source of living waters;
They have dug themselves cisterns,
broken cisterns, that hold no water.

The two evils which the people of God committed are the same.  First the abandoned God, but then they turned to other gods.  They were not content to deny the existence of Almighty God, but they denied His existence while turning to nonexistent gods.  Scripture says elsewhere:

Deuteronomy 32:17

King James Version (KJV)
17 They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.


Responsorial Psalm Ps 36:6-7ab, 8-9, 10-11

Response- (10a) With you is the fountain of life, O Lord.

O LORD, your mercy reaches to heaven;
your faithfulness, to the clouds.
Your justice is like the mountains of God;
your judgments, like the mighty deep.

R. With you is the fountain of life, O Lord.

How precious is your mercy, O God!
The children of men take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They have their fill of the prime gifts of your house;
from your delightful stream you give them to drink.

R. With you is the fountain of life, O Lord.


For with you is the fountain of life,
and in your light we see light.
Keep up your mercy toward your friends,
your just defense of the upright of heart.

R. With you is the fountain of life, O Lord.

Summary of the Psalm:

The Psalm celebrates the mercy of God towards those who love Him and keep His Commandments.

As Scripture says elsewhere:

Exodus 20:6

King James Version (KJV)
And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.


Gospel Mt 13:10-17

The disciples approached Jesus and said,
"Why do you speak to the crowd in parables?"

The disciples asked Jesus, "why do you speak to the crowd in riddles?"

Parables are a form of illustration which uses stories and metaphors to convey a lesson.  Frequently, it takes a bit of thinking to recognize the connection.  I know, for myself, it was not until I became familiar with some parts of Judaic custom of which I was not aware, that many of these parables which Jesus taught, began to make sense.

He said to them in reply,
"Because knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven
has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted.

Jesus reply has something to do with Predestination.  A topic which I won't voluntarily broach.  I do recognize that it is Catholic doctrine.  But I don't think I can explain it well.

However, there is more than one meaning being conveyed here.  The reason Apostles were given the knowledge of the mysteries of God is evident.  God wanted the people to come to the Church to learn that which Christ commanded.  As it is written:

Matthew 28:19-20

King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.


To anyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich;
from anyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

This is at once, a beautiful teaching and a fearful one.  It touches upon faith and those who exercise and those who don't.  Those who have faith and use it, will merit eternal life.  Those who claim to have faith but do not produce evidence of that faith in works, will be condemned.  As it is written:


Matthew 25:14-30



14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.



Matthew 25:31-45

King James Version (KJV)
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.


This is why I speak to them in parables, because
they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand.
Isaiah's prophecy is fulfilled in them, which says:


You shall indeed hear but not understand,
you shall indeed look but never see.
Gross is the heart of this people,
they will hardly hear with their ears,
they have closed their eyes,
lest they see with their eyes
and hear with their ears
and understand with their hearts and be converted
and I heal them.

This is a reference to apostatizing Israel.  Who at one time had closed their ears, eyes and hearts to God.

Isaiah 6:8-10

King James Version (KJV)
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

"But blessed are your eyes, because they see,
and your ears, because they hear.
Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people
longed to see what you see but did not see it,
and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."


But Jesus commends the Apostles.  Because they answered the call of the Father and followed Jesus, disregarding the cost to their own lives:

Matthew 19:29

King James Version (KJV)
29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.


Sincerely,


De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.