Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Sign of the Cross, do you pray it?



John 3 16
For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

The Sign of the Cross has been an icon of Christian worship for many centuries. In the Catholic Church, we pray it thus:

We place our thumb on our forehead and say, "In the name of the Father,"

Then on our heart and say, "and of the son"

Then on our left shoulder and right shoulder and say, "and of the Holy Spirit"

Amen.

We begin and end our prayers with the sign of the Cross and it is a quick blessing which we use to remind us of the presence of God in our lives during any stressful period.

We believe this is from Scripture:

Ezechiel 9
4 And the Lord said to him: Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem: and mark Thau upon the foreheads of the men that sigh, and mourn for all the abominations that are committed in the midst thereof.....6 Utterly destroy old and young, maidens, children and women: but upon whomsoever you shall see Thau, kill him not, and begin ye at my sanctuary. So they began at the ancient men who mere before the house.

1 Corinthians 1
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews indeed a stumblingblock, and unto the Gentiles foolishness:

I know that I've seen Baptist mothers, well one anyway, trace her fingers on a child's forehead in the sign of a cross.

Do any of you also practice making the sign of the Cross? If so, why? If not, why not?

See also, "why do they wave their hands?"

Sincerely,

De Maria

2 comments:

  1. About four months ago, I was having my tea time at Mc Donald, and then came , a father and his three sons, they were sitting in front of me, what was amazed me , they made sign of cross before having their meals and said little prayer,. It brought tears in my eyes coz it has been ages for me to see a catholic family practises their faith in public. I felt that I am not alone did those pious acts outside of church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful to see. So, it is also a wonderful witness.

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.