Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What is the role of works in Salvation?

I was reading one of my past blog articles, and it occurred to me that I didn't answer my own question.


What role do works play in salvation?


As I understand it, works play a preliminary role in salvation.  The fundamental work is faith.  Faith is  virtue which is in a category all by itself.  


First, faith is a grace.  It is a gift of God.  It is, in fact, the grace which is in response to the grace described in Trent, Session VI,  Chapter V, as "predisposing".   In other words, God calls us, that is the "predisposing" grace.  And our response to that grace is "faith".


Second, faith is a work of God.  In John, Chapter 6, Jesus calls "believing in the One whom He sent" to be the work of God.
John 6:29King James Version (KJV)
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
"believing in Jesus" amounts to "faith in Jesus".  Therefore, faith is a work of God.  And that means that faith is a grace.  Because all works of God are a grace which He does for our sake.

Third, faith is also our work.  If we revisit John 6.  Just one verse prior.  We see that Jesus was answering:


John 6:28
King James Version (KJV)
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

And so, you see, that the Jews who asked this question were very astute.  They knew that God worked through them.  And they wanted to know what work of God they must do that God might work through them.

And so, faith is a grace of God, a work of God and our work as well.

Fourth, faith is the essential work.  

Hebrews 11:6
King James Version (KJV)
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

If we do not accept the gift of faith which God gives us and works in us, we will not be saved.


So far so good?  Faith is essential.  Faith is a virtue, a grace, a gift of God which we must accept and cooperate with it in order that He might work through us.


However, faith is such an important work that it is set in a category all by itself.  That is why we speak of "faith AND works".  When we say "faith and works" we mean faith and "good works".  And when we say "good works", we mean works which are in accordance with the Commandments of God.


Scripture says:

1 John 3:4
King James Version (KJV)
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The Commandments are the Law and anything which transgresses the Commandments is sin.


If we have faith in Christ, we no longer sin:

Romans 6:1-3
King James Version (KJV)
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

And if we no longer sin, we are doing the works of God, the works of love which Christ commanded.

Galatians 5:6
King James Version (KJV)
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Jesus goes into detail as to what these works entail:

Matthew 25:31-45
King James Version (KJV)
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
OK, now I need for you to STOP and think.  Protestants get confounded here.  They believe in faith alone.  Therefore, for them, it is like hocus-pocus.  They claim faith and they are saved.

Its not like that for us.  We do not claim works and POOF! we are saved.  
What is the first question that Protestants ask us?  "Are you saved?"  And what do we say? "I don't know."  THAT IS THE BIBLICAL ANSWER.

Scripture says:

1 Corinthians 4:2-4
King James Version (KJV)
Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

God is our Judge!  The Protestants can go on saving themselves by their faith alone.  But we rely, we hope, in God.

So what is the role of works?  They are preliminaries.  They are prerequisites.

God does not save any one who does not do good works even if they claim to have faith alone.
James 2:14
King James Version (KJV)
14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
God does not save anyone who does not repent of evil works
1 Corinthians 6:9
King James Version (KJV)
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
God only saves those who obey Christ:
Hebrews 5:9
King James Version (KJV)
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
And keep His Commandments:
Revelation 22:12-15
King James Version (KJV)
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
 I love that verse in the KJV, because it is very Sacramental.  If you are Catholic, you will recognize right away how it describes the Sacraments and being in a state of grace.

A euphemism for the Eucharist is the "Tree of Life".

Blessed are they which do His Commandments.

 In other words, blessed are they who are in a state of grace, right?  

That they may have a right to the Tree of Life.

Before we receive the Eucharist, we must be in a state of grace.

And so, I hope you can see, how beautiful this is.  

Those who keep the Commandments, will be saved.  But God is their judge.  They can't claim to be saved because of their works or because of their faith.  They must await God's judgement in the end times.

But, if they are Christian, and they keep the Commandments, they receive Eternal Life every time they receive the Eucharist.

There is a verse in Scripture which says:
1 Peter 4:17
King James Version (KJV)
17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?


Everytime we submit to the Sacraments, we have a preliminary Judgement.


OK.  I hope I didn't get sidetracked that time.  The role of works is preliminary and prerequisite.  If we do not obey God and do His Commandments, we prove that we do not have saving faith and we will not be saved.


If we do obey God and keep His Commandments, we prove our faith in Him and He is faithful to save us.


But, He is the Judge as to whether we have done all which He commanded.


Sincerely,


De Maria


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.