Thursday, September 6, 2012

Keeping the commandments isn't the gospel...?

Lutero, you said
Keeping the commandments to be saved isn't the gospel. No one has done so perfectly, including YOU.
Let's break this down.  Because in this one sentence, you attribute to me some assumptions and presuppositions which I never claimed.

First you say:
Keeping the commandments to be saved isn't the gospel.
Did I say that keeping the commandments to be saved is the entire gospel?  No, I didn't.  Nor does the Catholic Church teach such a thing.

First of all, it is clear that no one can keep the commandments who is not aided by the grace of God.  One must first accept the gift of faith by acting upon it and beginning to seek God.  Scripture says:
Hebrews 11:6
King James Version (KJV)
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
And then, having accepted that grace of faith which God has given and having begun to seek God, we must do our best to assure our calling and election by adding to our faith knowledge and virtue:

2 Peter 1:5-10
King James Version (KJV)
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
In all this, we must take care to be obedient to Jesus Christ our Lord:
Hebrews 5:9
King James Version (KJV)
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
In so doing, work out our salvation:
Philippians 2:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
And that is yet still not the entire Gospel.  You want to change the Gospel in your own image.  But Christ is clear.  If you want eternal life, you must be willing to do the work which God prepared for you from the beginning.  That work is summarized in the Ten Commandments:
Matthew 19:17
King James Version (KJV)
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Then you say:
No one has done so perfectly, including YOU.
1.  Whether I have done anything perfectly is between God and I.  And not for you to judge.  Or who appointed you my master?  Scripture is clear:
Romans 14:4
King James Version (KJV)
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
My conscience is clear and God is my Judge:
1 Corinthians 4:2-4
King James Version (KJV)
Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
2.  Nor do you know if anyone else has done so perfectly either.  You are not God and Scripture says of Zechariah and Elisabeth:
Luke 1:6
King James Version (KJV)
And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
3.  Instead of focusing on whether I or anyone else has kept the Commandments, you should focus on whether you are keeping them.  Because again, Scripture says:

Revelation 22:13-15
King James Version (KJV)
13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Therefore, keep the Commandments and you will be saved:
John 14:21-23
King James Version (KJV)
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 

Sincerely,

De Maria 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.