Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 26, 2012

Wednesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 451

First reading from the Holy book of Proverbs

Prv 30:5-9

Every word of God is tested;
Every word of God is true.
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Those who take refuge in Him are safe.
Add nothing to his words,
lest he reprove you, and you will be exposed as a deceiver.
Do not change the word of God or He will punish you.
Two things I ask of you,
The Narrator addresses God and asks of Him two things which only God can give.
deny them not to me before I die:
Put falsehood and lying far from me,
He asks God to make sure that he never sins by lying.
give me neither poverty nor riches;
provide me only with the food I need;
Lest, being full, I deny you,
saying, "Who is the LORD?"
Or, being in want, I steal,
and profane the name of my God.
And he asks God to make sure he is neither too poor nor to rich in his life.  Having only that which he really needs.  For being too rich, he might become proud and deny God and being too poor he might be tempted to steal and thus pollute the name of God.

Responsorial Psalm Ps 119:29, 72, 89, 101, 104, 163

Response. (105) Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
Remove from me the way of falsehood,
and favor me with your law.
 
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
 
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
Your word, O LORD, endures forever;
it is firm as the heavens.
 
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
From every evil way I withhold my feet,
that I may keep your words.
 
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
Through your precepts I gain discernment;
therefore I hate every false way.
 
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
Falsehood I hate and abhor;
your law I love.
 
R. Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. 
God's law is summarized in one word, love:
Romans 13:8
King James Version (KJV)
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 

Gospel Lk 9:1-6

Jesus summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority
over all demons and to cure diseases,
and he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God
and to heal the sick.
Jesus gave the Twelve the power to cure and drive out demons.  And with these as signs, He sent them out to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey,
neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money,
and let no one take a second tunic.
He sent them with nothing but their shoes and a tunic that they might rely upon the good faith of the people whom they helped.
Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there.
Whoever welcomed them into their home, there they would stay until they left.  This is common sense because people feel slighted when you come to their home and then leave to go to someone else's home.
And as for those who do not welcome you,
when you leave that town,
shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them."
Shake the dust from your feet.  That's a commonly used proverb which means, to my understanding, "there are more fish in the sea".   In other words, don't waste time trying to convince someone who is set in their ways.  Keep going, stay on target.  Jesus said it another way here:


Luke 9:62
King James Version (KJV)
62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Then they set out and went from village to village
proclaiming the Good News and curing diseases everywhere.
And the Apostles did as Christ commanded them.

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.