Saturday, September 29, 2012

September 30, 2012



Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary TimeLectionary: 137


A reading from the holy book of Numbers

Nm 11:25-29


The LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to Moses.
Taking some of the spirit that was on Moses,
the LORD bestowed it on the seventy elders;
and as the spirit came to rest on them, they prophesied.

Moses must have been tremendously Holy.  Because God took some of Moses spirit and bestowed it upon seventy men?!!!  Wow!

Now two men, one named Eldad and the other Medad,
were not in the gathering but had been left in the camp.
They too had been on the list, but had not gone out to the tent;
yet the spirit came to rest on them also,
and they prophesied in the camp.

God's spirit went out and searched for these men which were on the list and accomplished what God had sent it to do.  This reminds me of a verse:
Isaiah 55:11
King James Version (KJV)
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
So, when a young man quickly told Moses,
"Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp, "
Joshua, son of Nun, who from his youth had been Moses?aide, said,
"Moses, my lord, stop them."
But Moses answered him,
"Are you jealous for my sake?
Would that all the people of the LORD were prophets!
Would that the LORD might bestow his spirit on them all!"

With Holiness comes wisdom.  Moses was exceedingly wise.

This verse reminds me of another:
Acts 2:16-18
King James Version (KJV)
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
I believe we are living in those days.

Responsorial Psalm Ps 19:8, 10, 12-13, 14


Response. (9a) The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

The law of the LORD is perfect,
refreshing the soul;
the decree of the LORD is trustworthy,
giving wisdom to the simple.

R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever;
the ordinances of the LORD are true,
all of them just.

R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

Though your servant is careful of them,
very diligent in keeping them,
Yet who can detect failings?
Cleanse me from my unknown faults!

R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

From wanton sin especially, restrain your servant;
let it not rule over me.
Then shall I be blameless and innocent
of serious sin.

R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

This reminds me of another verse:
Romans 7:23-25
King James Version (KJV)
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Second Reading from the Epistle of St. James Jas 5:1-6


This is a warning against the rich who have gained their wealth by taking advantage of their fellow man.

Come now, you rich, weep and wail over your impending miseries.
Your wealth has rotted away, your clothes have become moth-eaten,
your gold and silver have corroded,
and that corrosion will be a testimony against you;

God will repay all men according to their deeds in the body.  Those who  commit evil deeds will be repaid in kind:
Romans 2:5-6
King James Version (KJV)
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Who will render to every man according to his deeds
it will devour your flesh like a fire.
You have stored up treasure for the last days.
Behold, the wages you withheld from the workers
who harvested your fields are crying aloud;
and the cries of the harvesters
have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.

We will be punished by the very things which we treasured on earth.

You have lived on earth in luxury and pleasure;
you have fattened your hearts for the day of slaughter.
You have condemned;
you have murdered the righteous one;
he offers you no resistance.

As Abraham said to Dives, the Rich man:
Luke 16:23-25
King James Version (KJV)
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
You might want to read that entire story about Lazarus a poor man whom Dives, a rich man, ignored and neglected.  This is exactly why faith alone is dead.

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Mark.Mk 9:38-43, 45, 47-48


At that time, John said to Jesus,
"Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name,
and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."

Much like Joshua, the beloved helper of Moses.  The beloved Disciple was concerned that another man, a stranger, was doing good in the name of Christ.

Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him.
There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name
who can at the same time speak ill of me.
For whoever is not against us is for us.

And Jesus said to St. John, "You have no monopoly on goodness nor the Holy Spirit.  No one who calls me Lord can be against us."

This reminds me of a verse:
1 Corinthians 12:3
King James Version (KJV)
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink
because you belong to Christ,
amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward.

We should always recognize the goodness in men because any good that they do is by the Spirit of God.

"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin,
it would be better for him if a great millstone
were put around his neck
and he were thrown into the sea.

Always give good example and let your light shine upon men that they may imitate you in doing good.  Don't let them imitate you in doing evil, for that is not good for you or for therm.

If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off.
It is better for you to enter into life maimed
than with two hands to go into Gehenna,
into the unquenchable fire.
And if your foot causes you to sin, cut if off.
It is better for you to enter into life crippled
than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna.
And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.
Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye
than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna,
where 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'"

This reminds me of another verse:
Matthew 16:26
King James Version (KJV)
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.