Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 3, 2013


« May 2  |  May 4 »

Feast of Saints Philip and James, Apostles 

Read more about Sts. Philip and James

Lectionary: 561

Reading 11 COR 15:1-8

I am reminding you, brothers and sisters,
of the Gospel I preached to you,
which you indeed received and in which you also stand.
Through it you are also being saved,
if you hold fast to the word I preached to you,
unless you believed in vain.

There are several Scriptures which, like this one, teach us that we can lose our salvation.  Note that St. Paul says that some can "believe" in vain. To me, that sounds like dead faith.  These people can actually believe in the Gospel.  But their faith is in vain.
For I handed on to you as of first importance what I also received:
that Christ died for our sins
in accordance with the Scriptures;
that he was buried;
that he was raised on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures;
that he appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve.
After that, he appeared to more
than five hundred brothers and sisters at once,
most of whom are still living,
though some have fallen asleep.
After that he appeared to James,
then to all the Apostles.
Last of all, as to one born abnormally,
he appeared to me.
St. Paul recounts of first importance, as he puts it, that Jesus died for our sins.  And that He was resurrected and this resurrection was witnessed by many people.  Including one of the named James.  Although it was probably St. James the Greater, the brother of John.  And we are today celebrating the feast day of St. James the Less, the son of Mary who is also the mother of Joses, Jude and Simon, 
The reason I say it is probably St. James the Greater mentioned here, is because Cephas (St. Peter) and he are two of the three Apostles to whom Jesus Christ revealed Himself in the transfiguration on Mount Tabor. 

Responsorial PsalmPS 19:2-3, 4-5

R. (5) Their message goes out through all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
Day pours out the word to day;
and night to night imparts knowledge.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Not a word nor a discourse
whose voice is not heard;
Through all the earth their voice resounds,
and to the ends of the world, their message.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.

Nature itself declares the Glory of God.  Who but God could create so wonderfully? If we examine the most minute details, who but God could think of them?  Look at your hands for instance.  Look at every line and wrinkle.  None of them happened by accident.  Each have a purpose.  And then declare God's glory.  Because God is awesome!

GospelJN 14:6-14

Jesus said to Thomas, “I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.
If you know me, then you will also know my Father.
From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

Long before He was crucified, died and was buried and long before He appeared to St. Thomas with the other Apostles in the upper room, Jesus had already informed St. Thomas that He is one with the Father.  In other words, that He is God.

Philip said to him, 
“Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time
and you still do not know me, Philip?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own.
The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. 

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is what we need to imitate.  We must let the Father work through us as He did through Jesus.  St. Paul says:
Philippians 2:11-13
King James Version (KJV)
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father  12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me,
or else, believe because of the works themselves.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
and will do greater ones than these,

This is a reference to the Canonized Saints which the Church hold up as our example in the spiritual life.
because I am going to the Father.
And whatever you ask in my name, I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”
Anything good.  God grants all prayers which are for the good.  But does not grant any selfish prayers.  As St. James explains:
James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

2 comments:

  1. Great comments for psalms De Maria.

    Btw, how do I know which correct apostles that scripture point to if there is more than one person share the same name for examples is James.

    Sincerely, Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catholic Tradition tells us that the writer of the Gospel of St. James is James the Just also known as James the Less. He is the brother of Joses and in my opinion of Simon the Zealot and Jude.

      Jude 1:1
      Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

      See also http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08275b.htm

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.