Thursday, January 29, 2015

Protestantism, the land of contradiction.





seven quick takes friday 2


Protestants say the strangest things.

They'll say, "Don't believe anything that's not in the Bible!"  Ask them, "Where is that in the Bible?"
They'll admit, "Its not in the Bible."  Oh? - (・_・ヾ


Or they'll say, "Tradition is bad!"  Oh, really, where'd you get that idea.
"My pastor says so."  Isn't that tradition?  You know, passing on information by word?
"Its only bad when you do it."  Huh? O.o


Wait, here's another.

They'll say, "I'm saved and you're not!"  What?  Why?
"Because I have faith."  And I don't?
"Nope.  You have good works and good works are bad."  What?
"I have faith alone!"  Wait a minit!  You're faith alone trumps my faith and works?  Have you ever read the Word of God where it says:

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.


Oh and get this one.

They'll say, "I am saved by faith alone, but the faith by which I'm saved is not alone."  So, you're saved by faith and works?
"No!  I'm saved by faith alone!"  But you just said the faith by which you're saved is not alone!
"Its not."   *-* Agh!

Don't laugh.  They take it seriously.  Its in their Westminster Confession of faith.


Then, there's this:

"Scripture alone is inspired."   No, Scripture says that God inspired men.
"I said that Scripture alone is inspired."  But Scripture says that God inspired men.
"I SAID THAT SCRIPTURE ALONE IS INSPIRED!"  SCRIPTURE SAYS THAT GOD INSPIRED MEN.
"Obviously, you don't understand the perspicuous nature of Scripture."  What?!  :-P




And there's this.

"Christ is the head of my Church".  So, your church is infallible, then?
"No."  No?
"No."  But isn't Christ infallible?
"Yes."  And doesn't He lead your church?
"Yes."  So, your church is infallible?
"No."  Did Christ fail?
"No."  So, He's not the head of your church, then?
"Yes."  But He's not a very good head?  Or what?  
" :-\ "  You're not actually thinking about that, are you?


And then, there's the question on the Eucharist.

Prot #1.  Its just a symbol.
Prot #2.  No its not, its the body of our Lord, in the elements.
Prot #3.  Are you nuts!  Our Lord is not omnipresent!  His body is in heaven.  Its a spiritual presence.
Prot #4.  Its juice and crackers.  Don't get all bent out of shape.

What does Scripture say:

1 Corinthians 10:16New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

16 The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

For more Quick Takes, visit This Ain't The Lyceum








11 comments:

  1. ROTFLOL!! So true.

    Prots like to carry a Bible around and use it as some sort of "reference card" thats full of "feel good quotes" as opposed to reading the whole Book and understanding how it ALL ties together.

    Speaking of the Westminster Confession, I was reading through it about four days ago and I was floored by the many blatant contradictions and theological errors that within its writing, yet prots don't see it.

    I don't particularly care for the New American Bible version though :-(

    God Bless and great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't care for the footnotes. But I understand the dilemma the Church was in. Its an ecumenical Bible. And many Protestants had input. Unfortunately, they made their presence felt in the end product.

    The end result is thoroughly Catholic. It is very readable also.

    But, some of the footnotes are troublesome. I wouldn't mind if some of them were removed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I still love to read my old 1855 Douay Rheims with the Rev. Haddock commentary. Absolutely fantastic Bible! In my opinion of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love the wording:

      Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

      Not the

      "Greetings, you who are highly favored!"

      Oh, that hits my ears with a thud!

      Delete
    2. It actually sounds like something from an old Charlie Brown cartoon ;-(

      Delete
  4. Just want to say not ALL protestants are like the above mentioned. You might have more in common then you realize. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not all Protestant faiths are the same, fyi. Many are quite rooted to scholastic tradition. Please refrain from lumping all together, as I'm sure there is bristling when "Catholics" are all painted with the same brush. Many "mainstream" Protestant congregations such as Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopal, do not feel allied - liturgically and otherwise - with the born-again evangelical sects. Further, these mainstream congregations follow the same calendrical year and weekly Scripture as Catholic church; we are well aware of our kinship with Catholicism and many celebrate/appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you want me to say. Isn't it the confessional Protestants that believe?

      WESTMINSTER CONFESSION OF FAITH
      CHAPTER XXV.
      Of the Church.
      VI. There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God.

      Lutheran Book of Concord states, "[T]he pope is the real Antichrist who has raised himself over and set himself against Christ . . . Accordingly, just as we cannot adore the devil himself as our lord or God, so we cannot suffer his apostle, the pope or Antichrist, to govern us as our head or lord" (Smalcald Articles 2:4:10, 14).


      Do you, therefore, feel allied with the Catholic Church?

      Delete
    2. Hello Anonymous and thanks for replying!

      I apologize if I have painted all protestants with the same brush. I should have clarified that my comments are directed towards those that hold a deeply rooted hatred against Our Faith. My error. I hope you accept my apologies. Now.....

      You said: "Further, these mainstream congregations follow the same calendrical year and weekly Scripture as Catholic church; we are well aware of our kinship with Catholicism and many celebrate/appreciate that." SO DO WE!

      So now I need to ask you: What's keeping you from joining the Family of the Catholic Church?

      God Bless and again, my apologies.

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.