Thursday, November 29, 2012

St. Paul and the Apostles continued

St. James' teaching, on the other hand, was very basic. He was not talking about the faith and works needed to bring about Sacramental justification, nor about the faith and works needed to bring about God's election, nor about the faith and works for God to become Incarnate man. St. James was only talking about one type of justification. The justification brought about by the participation of a man in the goodness of God. The justification brought about by a man obeying God's Will which is proclaimed in the Ten Commandments. The justification brought about by a man who accepts the grace of God in faith and exercising that faith works in obedience to God. This is why St. James says:

James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Lets break that down. Yea, a man may say, Somebody says Thou hast faith you have faith and I have works and I, St. James, have works shew me thy faith without thy works, And I will challenge you to show me your faith WITHOUT your works and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 

And I will show you my faith BY my works. In other words, faith is made evident by works. Simply claiming to have faith is not proof of faith. This is why he also says:

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

In other words, faith without works can't save anyone. He repeats this teaching almost immediately saying: James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

So, faith, without works, is dead. If repeating it once is not enough, he says it again in a different way:

James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. NOT BY FAITH ALONE.

Do you see that? So, I simply don't see how some people can claim that St. James is speaking here of works AFTER justification when he clearly states that a man is justified BY works and NOT BY faith alone. Nor can I understand how some claim that this is a works alone teaching. Because, if we break it down, he says: by works a man is justified AND not by faith ONLY. In other words, a man is justified by works and by faith. Not by works alone, not by faith alone. But by a combination of both.

This is the process which brings us to the work of God known as Baptism, wherein God Himself regenerates and recreates us in the image of His Son. Faith brings us to the table. And we must be open to the Sacrament. We must believe God can do what He promised. But only God can do for us what He promised. We can't do it ourselves. It is called, “ex opere operato”. Someone may ask, “well isn't that faith alone?” And I ask in turn, “How many Protestants, believing in faith alone, also believe in the Sacraments?” They don't! Because they consider the Sacraments are works of men. Whereas we know that the Sacraments are works of God, ALONE.
More tomorrow, perhaps...

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.