Tuesday, November 27, 2012

St. Paul and the rest of the Apostles

I've always found St. Paul's relationship to the rest of the Apostles intriguing.

St. James seems to clearly contradict St. Paul. Compare Romans 3:28 and St. James 2:24. Based upon their confrontation in Acts 21:21, I believe that is true. I think St. James' statement was directed at the one who was reputedly teaching the Jews to abandon Moses.

I also suspect that St. Paul felt betrayed by Sts. Peter and John as well. That is why he had to confront them in Gal 1 and 2. 

I think he felt that way because St. Peter said that St. Paul's teachings were confusing (2 Pet 3:15-17) and St. John wrote that some had left from their group who had never been of their group (1 John 2:19). This is why, I believe, he met with the "reputed" pillars (Gal 2:9) and had it out. Read more. 

Whereas both he and St. James preach justification by faith and works in the keeping of the Commandments. Compare Romans 2:13 and St. James 1:22.

Wow! This is getting long. Sorry. I'd like to mention though, that St. Paul was probably the only Theologian in the Apostolic group. He was raised and taught at the knee of Gamaliel (Acts 22:3). By reputation, one of the greatest Jewish Theologians that ever lived. And he, I believe, had an insight into justification which the other Apostles did not.

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.