Friday, November 2, 2012

November 3, 2012


Saturday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 484

A reading from St. Paul's epistle to the Philippians

Phil 1:18b-26

Brothers and sisters:
As long as in every way, whether in pretense or in truth,
Christ is being proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

>>>Brethren, whether it is proclaimed by hypocrites or by the righteous all I care is that the Gospel is proclaimed.


Indeed I shall continue to rejoice,
for I know that this will result in deliverance for me
through your prayers and support from the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

>>>To understand this verse, you need to read a bit more of the context before Phil 1:18.  He is "in bonds", so he is restricted physically.  And he has heard that some are preaching the Gospel although perhaps they are doing it half heartedly or not practicing what they preach.

So, as I understand it, these who are preaching Christ, imperfect as they are, will be considered to His credit by God.

My eager expectation and hope
is that I shall not be put to shame in any way,
but that with all boldness, now as always,
Christ will be magnified in my body,
whether by life or by death.

>>>Even at this late date, he still seems concerned that he will not finish the race:

1 Corinthians 9:27
King James Version (KJV)
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.
If I go on living in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me.

>>>St. Paul longed to be with Christ.  But for the sake of the Church, he sacrificed glory in order to continue to merit his salvation.

And I do not know which I shall choose.
I am caught between the two.
I long to depart this life and be with Christ,
for that is far better.
Yet that I remain in the flesh is more necessary for your benefit.

>>>But he had trouble deciding which to choose.  But he felt that his remaining in this life would be more helpful to his flock.


And this I know with confidence,
that I shall remain and continue in the service of all of you
for your progress and joy in the faith,
so that your boasting in Christ Jesus may abound on account of me
when I come to you again.

>>>But he was determined to preach and teach the Gospel to the end in order that their boasting in Christ would accrue more grace to his account.

Responsorial Psalm Ps 42:2, 3, 5cdef

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

As the hind longs for the running waters,
so my soul longs for you, O God.

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

I went with the throng
and led them in procession to the house of God.
Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving,
with the multitude keeping festival.

R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.

>>>I think this Psalm describes King David leading the throngs to Jerusalem while dancing in front of the Ark of the Covenant:

2 Samuel 6
King James Version (KJV)
14 And David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

A reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Luke

 Lk 14:1, 7-11


On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
at the home of one of the leading Pharisees,
and the people there were observing him carefully.

>>>On a certain Sabbath, Jesus went to dinner with a Pharisee.  And the people were regarding Him carefully.


He told a parable to those who had been invited,
noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table.

>>>Jesus was also regarding them and He told them a lesson about their behavior as they fought for the places of honor at the table.

"When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet,
do not recline at table in the place of honor.

>>>When you are invited to a wedding, don't assume that you are the guest of honor.

A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him,
and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say,
'Give your place to this man,'
and then you would proceed with embarrassment
to take the lowest place.

>>>Because if the guest of honor walks in, you will be embarrassed when the host tells you to move out of his way.

Rather, when you are invited,
go and take the lowest place
so that when the host comes to you he may say,
'My friend, move up to a higher position.'

>>>Instead, take a lower place.  And when the host looks for you, he will say, "friend, come closer to me."

Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table.

>>>Then all present will admire you.

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled,
but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.

>>>Because all who think of themselves too highly before God, God will put in their place.
But those who humble themselves before Him, God will glorify.

Sincerely, 

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.