Lutero said:

....by saying that "GOOD WORKS ARE REQUIRED TO BE SAVED".
It leaves the distinct impression that you are TRUSTING in them

I say:
No it doesn't. We clearly state that salvation is by FAITH AND WORKS. So, if we rely upon anything we do, it is in our faith and works. And if we are relying on our faith and works, you are relying upon your faith ALONE.

BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS:
We don't rely upon our faith and works. We rely upon God. Ask any Catholic! You know it as well as I. Protestants continually harangue us for this fact. Even the least knowledgeable of Catholics, if you ask him, "are you saved?" What will he answer? He will say, "I DON'T KNOW."

If Catholics relied upon our works, we would answer that question, "YES, BY GOD." Like the Pharisee in the Tempel, we would enumerate our works! I pray, I give tithes, I give alms, I help the elderly, etc. etc.

But we don't. We simply leave it to God to decide whether we have done His will or not.

ON THE OTHER HAND. Compare the Evangelical, Protestant, Reformed response. I'll ask you, GC, are you saved? I will await your answer, but in the meantime, I will also provide the answer I've received from all the Protestants with which I've spoken.

"Yes!" they say, "I am saved by my faith alone! My sins are all forgiven!" Even if I ask them, "What about your future sins?"

ALL MY SINS ARE FORGIVEN, I'M GOING TO HEAVEN.

That is their answer! What do you say? Do you rely upon your faith alone for salvation?

Sincerely,

De Maria