Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Memory verse - 1 Corinthians 4:3-5


1 Corinthians 4:3-5

King James Version (KJV)
3But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.  4For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.  5Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

I love this verse and I use it often in my apologetics.  Why?

Well, one of the things that Protestants object to is the fact that we don't judge ourselves saved.  They readily claim salvation by faith alone and believe they are saved immediately when they claim that they have saving faith.

But the Catholic Church teaches that God is our judge.  We don't judge ourselves.  We can't judge anyone's salvation.  We are taught to do good and let God be our Judge.  Claiming salvation for ourselves, is, in fact, the sin of presumption:


TRENT VICHAPTER XIIRASH PRESUMPTION OF PREDESTINATION IS TO BE AVOIDED
No one, moreover, so long as he lives this mortal life, ought in regard to the sacred mystery of divine predestination, so far presume as to state with absolute certainty that he is among the number of the predestined,[74] as if it were true that the one justified either cannot sin any more, or, if he does sin, that he ought to promise himself an assured repentance.
For except by special revelation, it cannot be known whom God has chosen to Himself.
And this is a teaching straight from Scripture.  It is taught in the verse which we are going to remember today, 1 Cor 4:3-5

Before we begin, let's review from memory verses we've already tackled:

First was "filly piano ride'm" which stands for Philippians 4:13 and the word picture is a filly with a piano on her back and I try to pick them up but can't until Jesus touches me.  

And the text from memory says, 
"I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me."
The actual text says:

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
That's close enough for me.

Second was "he brews battle" which stands for Hebrews 9:15 and the word picture is a Jew brewing coffee and Jesus holding a Bible in one hand and a crucifix in the other, battling the Grim Reaper while Patriarch enter the Pearly gates and turn into children which fall into Our Father's arms.  The text from memory says,
For this cause He became the mediator of a new testament.  That by means of death for the redemption of the transgressions during the first testament those who were called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

The actual test says:
Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Awesome!

And finally, "two hearts and a lady with a ladle"  I added the lady in order to make ladle more memorable.  That stands for 2 Cor 5:15 and the word picture is Jesus on the Cross with His Sacred Heart visible and Mary under the Cross with her Immaculate Heart visible.  And a multitude of the faithful with Mary worshipping Jesus Christ and then following Him to the grave where He rose again.

The text from memory is:
He died for all that those who live might henceforth live not unto themselves but for Him who died for them and rose again.
The actual text says:
2 Corinthians 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
And I am very happy with that as well.

So, let's begin with 1 Cor 4:3-5

1 Cor is one heart.
Going to the number to letter table which we have been using,
4 is equal to r
3 is equal to m
and
5 is equal to L

So that gives me the options of 4:3-5- r, m, l
or 4:3,4,5 r,m,r, l

Hm?  I'm having a hard time thinking of a memorable word with these letters.  Hmmmm….

Well, let's look at the words then:
3But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.  4For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.  5Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
1. I am small - But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
2.  Jesus judges me - For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
3.  I am surrounded by false judges and Jesus pulls me into the light - Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness
4.  The hearts of the saints become visible - and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

And the word picture will be the vision of the Sacred heart meaning 1 Cor and a picture of a Ram representing the Lamb of God and the word "real".  The Ram is real!

1 Cor 4:3,4,5 The Sacred heart of Jesus and the Ram is real!

Ok, lets see how close I come from memory.

I am small - It is a small thing to me if you judge me, I judge not myself, but my conscience is clean.

Jesus is my Judge - He who judges me is the Lord.

He pulls me into the light - Therefore judge not before time because God will bring to light all which is in darkness.

The hearts of the saint appear - and the hearts of men will be revealed and God will appraise the deeds of all men.
It is a small thing to me if you judge me, I judge not myself, but my conscience is clean.  He who judges me is the Lord.  Therefore judge not before time because God will bring to light all which is in darkness and the hearts of men will be revealed and God will appraise the deeds of all men.
Let's compare to the actual text:
3But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.  4For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.  5Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
Wow, that needs a lot of work!  But it is the longest verse I've attempted.  We'll check back in a week and see if I've made any progress.

Sincerely,

De Maria


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.