Friday, April 17, 2020

Questions about OSAS for Protestants


Questions for Protestants
First, am I right that you don’t believe that anyone who has once professed Christ in faith, can turn away from Him?
Second, am I also right in understanding that you believe that Christ’s sheep know who they are and that they are assured of salvation?
Here's what Scripture says to me:
Matthew 7:21-23
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’
Now, it seems to me, anyone calling Jesus, Lord, is doing it by the Holy Spirit. Am I right? 1 Corinthians 12:3
It seems to me, they had faith and were indwelt by the Holy Spirit and therefore, they called Jesus, “Lord”. Does my logic follow, so far?
will enter the kingdom of heaven,
Let me back up a bit. The entire idea which Jesus just pronounced is this:

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven,
That says nothing about rewards. Nothing about eternal life. It just says that they will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. But it is in the Kingdom of Heaven that the elect dwell and enjoy their rewards, one of which is eternal life, isn’t it? Or does one enjoy these rewards including eternal life, outside of heaven in eternity?
It sounds rhetorical, but its a serious question. I answer, “No. One can not enjoy his crowns and rewards (i.e. sit on thrones, Luke 22:30) nor eternal life outside of heaven. Or at least, they are not permanent until they reside in Heaven, with God.”
but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
This expression sounds very clear. Those who do the will of the Father will enter heaven. Of course, the will of the Father is to believe in Christ. But then, these people called Jesus, Lord, so purportedly, they believed in Christ. Is there more to the Father’s will than merely proclaiming faith in Christ?
Here’s what the Father said directly to the People of God,
Luke 9:35
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
35 Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
This would seem to me to be an expression of His Will. Listen to Him. In other words, it is the Father saying, “Obey my Son.” And that is the Father’s will. Do we agree?
In terms of Scripture interpreting Scripture, it also agrees with this verse:
Hebrews 5:9
New American Standard Bible
And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation,
So, there’s more to this, isn’t there? These folks should have been secure. But they seem to have received the surprise of their lives. But let’s continue.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord,
Jesus says that “Many” will call Him Lord.
did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many [a]miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’
But He will say to Him, “I never knew you.”
So, even though, they thought they knew Him, He did not acknowledge them.
So, just from a simple study of those verse, I come to the conclusion that a simple profession of faith in Christ is not enough to assure one’s eternal salvation. And, that many who think they are followers of Christ, are not acknowledged by Him.
What do you think?
Sincerely,
De Maria

6 comments:

  1. https://answeringcatholicclaims.blogspot.com/2020/04/catholicism-and-my-personal-testimony.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess you don't want to talk to me directly, so I guess I'll post an article to respond to your article. I'll post the link to it on your blog.

      Delete
    2. I am not Russell.

      Delete
    3. Then who are you and why are you linking to Russell's testimony?

      Delete
  2. I am Anonymouse. I post because.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Well, AnonyMouse, it would be nice if you post something meaningful. Russell used to address my points. You're simply posting links. And, if you continue, I'll simply erase them.

      Delete

Thanks for contributing.