Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grace, justification, sanctification, and divinization.

File:McVey wide skyscraper.jpg


In a recent discussion with a potential convert, we had this exchange:
When that day comes I want to hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"
With that in mind, I have to tell you a few things because I want to hear those same words.

1. You are right about the difference between you and I in that metaphorical room. You said, "You know for certain, but I don't."

(Note:  What I meant was, that I know for certain, that the Catholic Church is the Teacher of the Wisdom of God.  I have no doubts.)

Twenty five years ago, I was like you. I was trying to understand everything before I believed. After many years of testing and probing, I came to the conclusion that the Catholic Church is always right. Therefore, I have come to a point where I trust the teaching of the Church implicitly. 

2. Ironically, by testing and probing and relying upon my own understanding, I came to the point where I believe the Scripture which says:

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Hebrews 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

St. Augustine puts it really well, "believe that you may understand".

3. You ask:
Yes, but isn't the answer to that question the key to knowing the truth really is true?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just wanted to find a quote from an early Church Father didn't you? 

And the answer to that question is merely, "Yes, that would be good evidence. But it certainly wouldn't be the key."

(note:  The reason being that even early Church Fathers could err.  Only the Catholic Church is infallible.)

Now, for me, Tradition (Baptism in this case) is just as helpful in understanding the doctrine of Grace as an explicit quote from an early Church Father. Here is how I arrive at the solution.

First. The Holy Spirit is also known as the Power of God (Luke 1:35).
2nd. It is in Baptism that the Holy Spirit is given us (Acts 2:33; 38-39).
3rd. The Holy Spirit then is He who infuses in us His grace (1 Cor 12:1-4).

(Note:  If that syllogism is not enough for you.  Scripture also says that we are saved in Baptism.  Mark 16:16; 1 Pet 3:21; And it is in Baptism that we receive grace by the Holy Spirit, per #2 above.)

Earlier you also said:
But if we are saved by grace alone,
I would say we are saved by grace. The term "grace alone" carries too many erroneous suppositions.

and grace is God's power to make us like Christ, then are we saved by allowing this power to make us like Christ? 
Yes.

We call that the process of Sanctification. It is the other side of the coin which is Justification. We consider them to be the result of one and the same process of coming closer to God. I actually prefer the Orthodox terminology in this case. They call it "divinization". I believe it is St. John Chrysostom who said, "God became man that we might become gods."

St. Thomas Aquinas put it like this, "If an iron poker is thrust into a hot fire, though it never itself becomes fire, still it begins to glow red-hot, white-hot, with the characteristics of fire. It gives off light and heat. It shares in the nature of the fire. Our God is a consuming fire. When the Son united human nature to Himself in the Incarnation, He plunged human nature into the consuming fire of God."

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.