Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Who is more faithful, women or men?


Lighthouse Catholic Media store

People frequently confuse me for a woman because I call myself after Our Lady, Mary (i.e. Maria).  But  I'm a man.  Anyway,  one thing that has been proven to me in my life is that women are more faithful to God than men.  Every Church I've ever been to, women outnumber men two to one.  From the time I was young, I remember the men dropping the women off on Sunday, they would sit on the stoop or go to the bar and come back to the pick up their wives, moms and sisters when Mass was over.


The women in my life were telling me to be kind.  The men were telling me that was weakness.  The women in my life were telling me to behave.  The men were telling me, what they don't know won't hurt them.

What has been proven to me over and over in my life is that women are more faithful and more obedient than men.

In addition, women understand love more than men.  They are the ones who carry the children in their wombs.  They are the ones who suffer when their children are injured or sick.  They are the ones who cry when loved ones die.  

The Virgin Mary is the prime example of that. Second only to Jesus Christ, she alone s without sin. And you can look at a cross section of the Saints for proof of that as well.  Women are holier than men.
Saint Gregory tells the story of the last meeting of two saints.  St. Scholastica and St. Benedict.  Brother and sister.  They had spent the day in the "mutual comfort of heavenly talk" and with nightfall approaching, Benedict prepared to leave. Scholastica, having a presentiment that it would be their last opportunity to see each other alive, asked him to spend the evening in conversation. 

Benedict sternly refused because he did not wish to break his own rule by spending a night away from Monte Cassino. Thereupon, Scholastica cried openly, laid her head upon the table, and prayed that God would intercede for her. As she did so, a sudden storm arose. The violent rain and hail came in such a torrential downpour that Benedict and his companions were unable to depart. "May Almighty God forgive you, sister" said Benedict, "for what you have done." "I asked a favor of you," Scholastica replied simply, "and you refused it. I asked it of God, and He has granted it!"

It seems to me that she understood love better than he. This is typical.

Thank God for the women in our lives.

Sincerely,

De Maria  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.