Thursday, August 9, 2012

Daily Readings August 10, 2012

USCCB » Bible » « August 9 | August 11 »

Feast of Saint Lawrence, deacon and martyr
Lectionary: 618

My mom is a devotee of St. Lawrence.  And I had a dream about him once.  I had a dream that someone had knocked me down, jumped on top of me, pinned me to the ground, all the while laughing and grinning in my face.  I was getting quite upset.  But I had a very good look at his face.

I think it was the next day, but I don't remember, its been a long time.  My mom said, "lets go visit San Lorenzo, (that's Spanish for St. Lawrence).  So I said, "Ok."  Well, when I went into the Church which was named in his honor,  I looked up and lo and behold, there was the face from my dream.  I guess St. Lawrence wanted me to come and visit.

St. Lawrence was martyred by being burned alive.  Apparently, he was burned on one side and then the other.  It is said that he told his tormentors, "Turn me over!  This side is done!"  I love San Lorenzo.


Reading 1 2 Cor 9:6-10

Today we start with a reading from the New Testament.  One of St. Paul's epistles.  His Second Letter to the Corinthians.
Brothers and sisters:Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly,and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion,for God loves a cheerful giver.
St. Paul loves to bring up the doctrine of predestination.  Here, addressing the Christians of Corinth, he advises them to work hard and give generously.  Because God loves those who do so.  But he also slips in the idea that what we do and what we give is already "predetermined".

This is, of course, true.  But the way I see it and the way I believe we should all see it is this way.  God knows how much He determined for me.  But I don't.  So I can still do my best to excel at doing what is good.

Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you,so that in all things, always having all you need,you may have an abundance for every good work.
And because you give generously, God will shed His grace upon you generously.  So that you may have enough for every good work.

In my opinion, this is speaking about multiplying your grace.  Don't be looking to get rich off the Gospel.
As it is written:He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor;his righteousness endures forever.
This is from Psalm 112:9.
The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for foodwill supply and multiply your seedand increase the harvest of your righteousness.
Again, note that He will incread your "righteousness".  In other words, your merit in His eyes when the Judgement comes (Rev 22:12).

Responsorial Psalm Ps 112:1-2, 5-6, 7-8, 9


Response. (5) Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.


Blessed the man who fears the LORD,
who greatly delights in his commands.
His posterity shall be mighty upon the earth;
the upright generation shall be blessed.

R. Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.

Well for the man who is gracious and lends,
who conducts his affairs with justice;
He shall never be moved;
the just one shall be in everlasting remembrance.

R. Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.

An evil report he shall not fear;
his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.
His heart is steadfast; he shall not fear
till he looks down upon his foes.

R. Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.

Lavishly he gives to the poor,
his generosity shall endure forever;
his horn shall be exalted in glory.

R. Blessed the man who is gracious and lends to those in need.

God sheds His blessing upon all men.  Since the poor are financially deprived.  Yet God says that He gives lavishly to them.  Then these gifts must be spiritual.  We can get a hint of what this Psalm means when we look at Dives and Lazarus, in the New Testament.  Here is what Abraham said:

Luke 16:25
New International Version (NIV)
25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.

Gospel Jn 12:24-26

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Amen, amen, I say to you,
unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies,
it remains just a grain of wheat;
but if it dies, it produces much fruit.
 
Jesus teaches His disciples about conversion and Baptism.  He says that a seed must die and fall to the ground in order to live again and bear fruit.  This is what happens when we are born again in the Spirit. We must humble ourselves before God, ask forgiveness and receive Baptism calling upon His name.

St. Paul puts it like this:

Romans 6:4
New International Version (NIV)
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

It also speaks of dying to self.  But the next verse even more strongly to that point.
Whoever loves his life loses it,and whoever hates his life in this worldwill preserve it for eternal life.
St. Paul also teaches this very well.  He says:

Philippians 3:8
New International Version (NIV)
What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ

Whoever serves me must follow me,and where I am, there also will my servant be.The Father will honor whoever serves me."
And in another place, Jesus says:

John 14:21
New International Version (NIV)
21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me.The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Sincerely,

De Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.